Red Bulls fall to 10-man Revs in the Open Cup


The New York Red Bulls lost a heartbreaking match in the fourth round of the U.S. Open Cup to Bruce Arena and the New England Revolution.

The Red Bulls started a mixture of starters, fringe players, and a USL Loanee while the Revs went with a mostly first choice side. The Red Bulls held the lead late into the match, but surrendered a late equalizer before falling 3-2 in extra time.

The Revs wasted no time getting on the board 57 seconds into the match. Juan Agudelo put home the loose ball bouncing in the six yard box. The play developed following a free kick at midfield and blocked shot at the top of the box.

Tom Barlow leveled the match in the 19th minute. Following a foul near the midfield line, Sean Davis played a long ball to the front line. Barlow used his strength to hold off Jalil Anibaba, then slammed home a shot with his left foot on a half volley. An immediate sense of relief swept through the crowd at MSU Soccer Park.

The teams battled back and forth throughout the first half, but neither found much danger. The Red Bulls maintained their high press, creating danger for the Revolution, and they in turn created opportunities on the break. The teams went into the locker room tied.

The Red Bulls pulled ahead after the break. In the 54th minute, Omir Fernandez laid a pass off to Cristian Casseres Jr. The midfielder took a touch and then fired a shot. His effort looped over Matt Turner and into the net.

The Red Bulls earned a penalty kick in the 65th minute. Alex Muyl’s darting run into the box drew the foul. Muyl stepped up to take the kick, but Matt Turner guessed correctly and made a diving save. Muyl’s bad luck continued moments later, when his header was just saved on the line by Turner. The PK miss came back to haunt them later.

The Revs pulled level in the 85th minute. Teal Bunbury received the ball on the run in the box. He cut back, pulling Amro Tarek out of the play, and fired a low shot passed Ryan Meara to knot the score at 2-2 late.

The Red Bulls caught a break in second half stoppage time. Luis Caicedo picked up his second yellow card for a tactical foul, and the Revs were reduced to ten men. The teams headed to extra time and the Red Bulls carried a man advantage.

Bunburry snatched the win for the Revs in the 109th minute. Bunburry picked off a Connor Lade pass for Tim Parker, then carried the ball the length of the field. He fired a shot that looped over Ryan Meara and snuck under the crossbar. Despite the man advantage, the Revs remained resolute in defense and took their only chance.

The Red Bulls have now lost twice from winning positions in consecutive games, and head into the international break for much needed rest and recuperation. Their next match will be against the Chicago Fire on June 28th.

About Joseph Goldstein

Joseph Goldstein is the managing editor of RBNN as well as the co-host of the Seeing Red and Raising Bulls podcasts.

View all posts by Joseph Goldstein →

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.